Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Over Budget

I keep trying to stay on budget and it doesn't seem to be working. I can stay on track when it comes to many things--but not when it comes to food!  I had a nice welcome to Buenos Aires lunch today at a place called El Querandi, which also doubles as a tangueria at night. I had planned to eat at La Cava de El Querandi, the posher restaurant's younger sibling--and more casual (aka cheaper!) wine bar--which is located right next door to the tango hall. Needless to say I ended up quite happy with my lunch, even though it was more expensive, and a totally different experience than I had been anticipating. I had a half bottle of 2010 Alfredo Roca Malbec which was big, rich, and quite tasty. And cost a bit over $10 (definitely over priced, but that's what happens when you sit down in the wrong place!). I ate the tagliatelle verde with seafood, which turned out to be quite good. The seafood tasted fresh, which is always a plus, though the tagliatelli were . But once I realized I was  in the wrong place I kept eyeing La Cava through the glass wall at the end of the restaurant. I'll keep you posted if I venture back to the wine bar. But with so many options in Buenos Aires I don't know that I will.

No comments: