Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What I'm Drinking (Tonight!)

Avery Brewing Co. Hog Heaven Dry-Hopped Barleywine Style Ale
This is a beer I grabbed in Colorado before heading to the land of shrimp and rice.* I don't see a date anywhere on the 22 ounce bottle, but I've had it for at least 9 months.

Avery's (faux) barleywine is pretty tasty. The bitterness was a bit of a turn off, at first. Its 104 IBUs are neither subtle nor masked. But once over my initial shock, I'm going to have to say, "This is one tasty beer!" I guess it's similar to some people...it just takes time to warm up a bit. The 9.2% ABV definitely brings the warmth on rapidly though. The hoppiness probably adds to the addictive component. (Unless of course that's the alcohol.)

The beer pours a clear, copper-amber color with a nice head (which dissipates rapidly, but not entirely). It has rich caramelish undertones that help alleviate the ale's bitterness.

I very much enjoyed drinking this strong ale. It's a definite yes for all the barley swines out there!

Pairing Suggestions: Try hard cheeses aged at least a year (think Parmigiano, Cheddar). Or pasta dishes heavy on the cheese.

*note: not craft beers

No comments: